Sep-Aug 2019 Online Mastery Program
Online Mastery Program course registration will re-open January 2019.
We are very excited to announce that we are starting an online version of the Mastery Program! Many artists from all over the world contact us weekly asking how they can learn from us remotely. We can now help artists anywhere in the world.
Is this program for me?
If you are an artist who…
- Has a voice and wants to be heard
- Has passion and the ability to persevere
- Is ready to step outside of your comfort zone
- Has a desire to see your art bring positive change and transform the world
…this program is for you.
You will learn classical drawing and oil painting, how to draw in proportional and how to paint representationally in many old master’s techniques. You will learn mixed media painting in acrylics, building textures, spray paint, inks, and more. You will learn how to find your voice and style. You will learn valuable artist habits and know how to stay motivated. You will learn how to brand, market and sell your artwork. This program is 11 months long.
Class Starts September 3rd- Cost $150 per month
(if for some reason you cannot continue, cancel anytime)
- Over 37 lectures and 55.5 hours of content!
- Mastery of Drawing: Learn to draw anything you can see, from figures, to still life, botanicals, portrait, landscape, interiors. You will learn how to see proportion and measure. You will learn how to use various drawing materials, like Conte crayons, pencil, charcoal, etc.
- Mastery of Oil Painting: Learn all the old master’s techniques for realistic oil painting. Also, learn expressive contemporary techniques for a modern spin on a classical foundation. You will learn color theory, mixing paint, how to use various brushes and mediums, palette knife and different brushstrokes.
- Voice Development: You will learn how to express yourself in your art and how to develop your own style. You will learn your place in art history by studying from previous masters. You will learn how to access your right brain and create artwork that is powerful and sellable. You will learn the latest info on the art world and where you fit into it.
- Mastery of Mixed Media: You will learn a multitude of mixed media recipes and explore many different ways to approach painting and how to build a painting in layers. You will learn various mixed media techniques, and how to use many different materials, like collage, textures, and grounds, spray paint, acrylics and inks, and how to incorporate oil as a finishing layer.
- Professional Art Studio: This class will launch you into your professional art career. You will develop habits for success, learn how to set up your studio, how to price, catalog, label, and title your work. How to photograph your work, and how to push through creative blocks.
- Artist Portfolio: You will create 30 pieces of sellable, marketable, work that is your unique style and voice. You will have a market-ready portfolio that is cohesive and consistent and you will be ready to start your career by selling your artwork for a living.
- Mastery of Art Business & Marketing: You will learn how to market and sell your artwork. You will learn how to use social media effectively and build a professional website. You will know how to contact and choose galleries, dealers, wholesalers, publishers, and consultants. You will be given inside information on specific people to contact.
- Unlimited Viewing: You can review the information as many times as you like. If you get stuck on a concept, you can re-watch the video and ask questions with Elli Milan and Dimitra Milan any Saturday. All content will be available until August 2019. You will receive a downloadable textbook you can keep as long as you like.
How Does It Work?
We will record all of the instructional content from each class three days a week when the on-location Mastery students meet. We will upload the content and you will have access to it on our online school website through a password. We also have other files and presentations and a textbook uploaded onto this site. You will follow along with the program and work in your own studio each day. The classes will be uploaded on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. It’s the next best thing to being here!
On Saturday morning 9 am OR 9 pm MST we will have a Zoom video conference meeting, that will be live where we will check on your progress, and answer questions. You can use Zoom through your computer or phone. These meetings are NOT mandatory but we highly recommend them. You have two times to choose from.
The amount of time required: This depends on each person. The average amount of time you will need to thoroughly go through this program is about 20 hours per week. Most of that time will be YOU drawing and painting NOT watching videos. Most of the work during the program is hands-on painting. The only time you will need to write anything is during the developing your voice portion and a little in marketing.
Supplies Needed: This is what you will need for the first section from September 3rd, until December 13th
Drawing: Charcoal, soft willow, compressed, black charcoal pencils variety, white erasers including detail, kneaded erasers, powdered charcoal, good drawing paper 22X30, Graphite: Variety of pencils from HB to 9B, powdered graphite, water-soluble graphite, sketchbook, good drawing paper, 22X30
Basic colors: cad. yellow med., Cad. orange deep, cad red, sap green, ultramarine blue, Cobalt violet, ivory black, cad yellow light, cad orange, alizarin crimson, viridian green, Prussian blue, dioxazine violet, quick dry Titanium white, van dyke brown, yellow ochre, transparent red oxide, Indian yellow, raw umber
Colors to add if you can: Gamblin brand radiant set 8 colors, and any other colors you like, phthalo blue, manganese violet, quinacridone red, magenta, Burnt Sienna, turquoise
Brushes: Flibert, 16, 12, 6, 4, Bright, 14, 10, 6, 2, round 6, 4, 2, 1, script brush, liner, some palette knives
Mediums: thinner, like terpenoid, or mineral spirits, Gamblin Galkyd, OR Winsor Newton Liquin,
cold wax medium
Canvases: you can use stretched or loose. Most of the sizes will be medium to small, like 16X20, 18X24, and 12X16, there will be a few that will be 24×30 or 30x40An oil paint brand that I like a lot is Gamblin for pope for those who live in the US, and Rembrandt for those who live out of US.
Choose a paint that is higher quality with real pigments.
We will go over supplies in detail during each teaching session, but this gives you an idea of what will be needed.
Price: the cost of this program is $150 per month, on a subscription basis.
(Risk-free, cancel at any time!)
- Lectures 78
- Quizzes 1
- Students 76
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes
Week 1 - Sept 10th
Week 2- Sept 17th
Week 3- Sept 24th
Week 4- Oct 1st
Week 5- Oct 8th
Week 6- Oct 22nd
Week 7- Nov 4th
Week 8- Nov 12th
Week 9- Nov 26th
Week 10- Dec 3rd
Week 11- Dec 9th
Week 12- Dec 17th
Week 1 - Jan 14th: Mixed Media + Voice
Week 2 - Jan 21st: Mixed Media + Voice
A Program with Purpose
As a student of the Online Mastery Program, I can say with confidence that Elli and Dimitra Milan are truly exceptional teachers. Not only are they are talented artists, they are on FIRE with PASSION for what they do! Both women are 100% committed to bringing out the best in each and every single one of their students, and I have seen them go above and beyond my expectations on countless occasions. Rest assured that when you sign up for the Mastery Program Online, you will be taken under their wing and mentored as if you were right there in the onsite class. When I started this program, I had little experience, a lot of self-doubt, and I didn't even know where to begin my journey in Fine Art. I didn't believe in myself and feared that I would never be able to draw and paint like the artists I so admired. In just 4 months, Elli and Dimitra have helped me prove myself wrong, and I now know in my heart that if I continue working hard, I can achieve my wildest dreams. I am so thankful to these two amazing women, and the whole Milan family (who are all exceptionally inspirational), and I am excited for the things yet to come. I highly recommend this program for anyone who dreams of making art for a living - ESPECIALLY if you don't believe that your dream could ever come true. Take a chance on yourself, and allow yourself to be proven wrong. Five stars!
Best Art Program Out There!
I'm currently in the online Mastery Program and am really enjoying it! I was so thankful when they started offering the Mastery Program online. You get so much for the money, it's not expensive at all compared to some art schools out there. This is the perfect program for you, if you want to improve your art or learn techniques. No need to waste money on an art degree from an expensive university, when you can get lessons from Elli and Dimitra, who have clearly mastered the arts. I have learned so much and have already seen an improvement in my art. This program is so inspiring and through the assignments, has really broadened my horizons. Can't recommend it enough!
You won't find a program like this
This is a truly unique program! There are so many self-taught artists out there who think that getting a serious art degree is too late or too expensive or something else. But how else to become a professional artist? This is what Milan family is giving us - an opportunity to learn, to grow and to pursue our dreams. I am taking this course and I am so happy we don't spend time learning "boring" academic studies (which are important of course). But what's precious each week and sometimes each lesson we are given different techniques so this way we can find what speaks to us and choose the style for our art expression. It is incredibly personal, we always get a feedback, answers to all our questions and inspiration that takes all our doubts away. It is also a great chance to become a part of an art community and no longer feel alone in our art journeys. Milan family share priceless experience and knowledge collected over the years! So it is absolutely worth the time and money. Very excited what's coming next!
Worth Every Penny
I’m currently a Mastery Program student at the Milan Art Institute, and in just a couple months I’ve already learned so much! At first I wasn’t sure if I should sign up because I had little experience, but the Milans welcome students of all skill levels. And what’s really cool is that the classes are taught by Elli, Dimitra and John, who each have unique teaching styles, skills and perspectives. Whether your goal is to become a full-time professional artist, or you draw/paint as a hobby and you simply want to fine-tune your skills… I highly recommend the MAI Mastery Program. The curriculum is spot-on in terms of content and pace, the instructors are true professionals who literally live and breath art, and being connected to other students from all over the world is seriously inspirational. It’s like joining a family and getting an accelerated art degree, all in just one year! I look forward to each lesson, and I’m already thinking about how much I’ll miss it once I graduate!
Fantastic and an amazing value
I’m an online student in the 2018/2019 Mastery Program and I have to say that it has truly exceeded my expectations. I have taken drawing classes here and there, and drawn for years, but just a couple of weeks into the mastery program my skills made a jump to a more professional level. There is material in here that was never shown or demonstrated to me in other classes and my drawings went from looking a bit cartoon-y and amateurish to something I was really proud of. The painting videos are amazing. The pace and varying projects really push you outside your comfort zone, which is a good thing. There are some materials and techniques I wouldn’t have tried before, assuming I wouldn’t like them, and they turned out to be some of my favorites! There’s also information about so very many ways to paint. It really fills up the artist’s toolbox. The foundational information, like drawing and color theory, is also packed in while you’re learning to paint. No sitting around drawing for months before picking up a paint brush. No sitting around just mixing colors. You learn on the go. It’s amazing what your brain can learn this way. I can’t say enough good stuff about the rest of it. Elli and Dimitra are both great at breaking things down and encouraging students to try things. They’re both very engaging and share their own artistic processes. There’s also quite a bit of discussion about what your brain is doing while creating (and how to handle things when things aren’t going so well). Listening to Elli speak is motivational and reminds me that I can in fact do this. Lastly, the value. I’m not sure where other people live but the monthly cost of this program would be the price for me to take ONE art class at an art center, which is usually limited to one particular topic. In practice, the Mastery Program is the equivalent of taking multiple art courses taught by professionals. They also make it a goal to assist students in finding the way they like to paint and develop their own artistic voice. It’s ultimately a small investment that provides the student with an opportunity to make big leaps in their skills in a relatively short amount of time. Can’t say enough good things about the program. It has brought a lot of much needed happiness to my life. Thank you Milans!